flashback fun 1x01: the beach


FADE IN:

1 INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

MEESH LOUNGES AGAINST A PILE OF PILLOWS, HER KNEES TUCKED UNDER HER CHIN, SLOWLY TURNING THE PAGES OF A WEATHERED, YELLOW-PAGED PHOTO ALBUM. A SUNHAT HANGS IN THE BACKGROUND. SHE SUDDENLY PAUSES ON A PAGE, HER EXPRESSION AMBIGUOUS. A BREEZE FROM THE OPEN WINDOW LIFTS HER HAIR.

CAMERA TIGHT ON MEESH AS SOUNDS FADE IN -- WAVES CRASHING, SEAGULLS CALLING, A BABY LAUGHS -- THEN CUT TO:

2 EXT. BEACH - DAY


I kid, I kid. I'm currently scanning my grandparents' photo albums for posterity (and will probably do my parents', too, as no one has seen fit to swap out the old albums for new, non-photo-destroying ones.) There are some amazing things in there, from turn-of-the-century portraits of great-great-grandparents to 50s Polaroids to the 80s Polaroids of my childhood, as seen above. Most of these are in decent condition, although there's a few that look like someone let a baby chew on them. (And there are some fantastic clothes, so you can bet I'll be making more flashback posts every now and then.)

These pics caught my eye because we've been making sure our beach gear is ready for summer. We do CT's public beach thing now, but when I was young, my parents and grandparents would rent a cottage at a private association's beach in Old Lyme for a few weeks every summer. Many of my best memories happened there. When my grandmother died, this tradition ended. Went back once for old times' sake when in college. Things had changed.

(Am I really seeing rental listings at 3k/week for some cottages? I am pretty sure we rented for $800/wk back in the 80s. Hot damn.)

I still miss the hell out of that place, though.

Just Granny & Me, probably about 1983
Grampa & Me, clearly a few years later
There are tons more, but I don't think anyone would be particularly pleased with me posting their swimsuit pictures online!

Lea  – (May 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM)  

Such pretty pictures. And love your little intro :) Such a cute little blog you've got here :D

The Cat Hag  – (May 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM)  

Gosh these photos are fantastic!!

I just love the color of it, and the fact that they are such dear precious memories of yours. ♥


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

roberto syrious  – (June 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM)  

aaaaaaaw so cute!!!
this flashback post is so amazing!
simply so gorgeous!!!!!!!
that's a lovely idea!!!!
hope you'll follow me so i'll do the same!
xoxo

Syriously in Fashion
Facebook page

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP