muumuu or maxi?


I know what you're thinking. "Oh, honey, no. You did not go out like that." You're right. I didn't. This was a work from home day, so I was stuck in the house typing and dressed up only for myself. I did not go anywhere that I might be seen in it.

But I wanted to.


dress: my grandmother's
belt: Forever21
sandals: Nine West
bangles: gift
sunglasses: Windsor

I often want to wear things that are maybe a little too eccentric for daily life. So much that I might as well start a feature titled "Wish I Could Wear It," full of weird costume pieces and other questionable bits that I'm not entirely sure I can pull off. (Half my belongings could fit into this category.) This one comes from my late grandmother's closet. It is polyester, sloppily altered, has a too-big-for-me floral pattern, and I love it.

Granny's wardrobe usually included head-to-toe black, nightgowns as house dresses, and a whole bunch of costume jewelry. I saw her in this particular gown all the time when I was little, but there were several others I'd also recognize instantly (my sister has two of them.) The sudden impact of sense and place and memory colliding when I put it on was a little unsettling. And a little sad.

And a little wonderful.

I feel weird having this hang in my closet, unused.

Becky @ Rub Some Dirt On It  – (May 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM)  

Now I don't know much about fashion, but I think with the belt, glasses, and jewelry, you can really pull this off. And since it resonates with you so strongly of time and place and love, I say who cares!! Rock it :)

Here from Comment Love Day :) Have a great day!

Lucy The Valiant  – (May 9, 2011 at 4:32 AM)  

I don't know... I think it totally works for wearing out and about! If I saw this outfit on someone out in public I would be jealous!

The Cat Hag  – (May 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM)  

I love this dress, you look absolutely fabulous in it!!

I know what you mean bout wearing stuff that might be a bit different out. I am not a big fan of the inquiring stares from strangers myself. :)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

the nyanzi report  – (May 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM)  

i love this! such a great job with the styling and the photography.

Robyn  – (May 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM)  

I work from home everyday, so I get to dress in ways I wouldn't in public all the time. It makes having an internet based job worth living for. I adore this look btw.

Jenny  – (May 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM)  

LOVE the dress! I often play dress up as well and *sometimes* wear my especially bold creations out of the house. But this dress is just a beauty and you styled it so well with the belt. xx

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP