cinematographic: virginia lewis, the 10th kingdom


becoming virginia lewis
Who the hell is Virginia Lewis, you ask? She's the heroine of one of my favorite fairytale stories.



Unlike your typical through-the-wardrobe wish fulfillment fantasy, this one's a fractured fairytale that deconstructs and subverts plenty of tired genre tropes. At the same time, it follows through on classic folk story elements, has a truly likeable cast, and manages to be pretty good fun for an 8 hour epic.


I can't say why this miniseries didn't do well upon the initial broadcast. Maybe it had bad timing coming out just after the 90s, wasn't advertised widely, or didn't fit into a clearly-defined enough genre for people. I remember reading some complaints that the jokes were too cheesy for adults, but the story too mature for kids. Funny how today's reverse formula of infantile stories + totally inappropriate jokes is a-okay, though. (Not really knocking it. I watched plenty of shows that fit this description as a kid, but then, no one was praising them for it, either.)

The screwball humor and general lightheartedness of The 10th Kingdom keeps the story enjoyable. I've seen plenty of relentlessly dull "grown up" versions of fairytales, which the forgettable characters, patchy plots, and mindless gore couldn't save. Nice to have ones that don't take themselves so mercilessly seriously, but aren't complete fluff either.


The Cat Hag  – (May 18, 2011 at 6:33 PM)  

Sweetie, I love that printed skirt, and it would look superb on you (haha so please buy it). :)

And this story sounds intriguing, it seems to marry so many different types of story and film aspects. Hmmm.


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Meesh  – (May 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM)  

Ha, thanks CH. Love that skirt, but the shoes are kinda growing on me too. (Oh, who are we kidding, I always want to buy everything!)

Sarah  – (May 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM)  

Whoa! Its Max from Gilmore girls! Hehehe!
I think I REALLY want to see this movie now. ;]

Meesh  – (May 21, 2011 at 12:26 AM)  

Sarah: That's one of the best reasons to see this miniseries, for sure. ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP