cinematographic: sarah williams, labyrinth


enter the labyrinth
Labyrinth is a 1986 Henson Company fantasy production starring a young Jennifer Connelly, David Bowie, and Bowie's trousers (if you've seen the film, you'll know what I mean.) This'll show my age, but it's also one of my favorite childhood movies.




The film follows teenager Sarah Williams through her struggles with coming to maturity, by way of a rescue mission. In a typical coming-of-age fashion, Sarah learns the hard way about responsibility, romance, consequences, and how to harness her own willpower. This sort of thing could have been dull in anyone else's hands, but the Henson team set up a fantastic world populated with artist Brian Froud's goblins and creatures, and their fabulous Goblin King Jareth (as played by Bowie.) Add stunning visuals, a fun musical track, the usual amazing Henson puppetry, Terry Gilliam's comedic style, and you've got me hooked.

And then there are the costumes.

Sarah's playtime dress, which every little girl I knew wanted desperately.
What's this, a real neighborhood, looking real? Do I ever miss on-site filming sometimes.
My face when I hold crying kids, too. Usually I'm not wearing a giant pirate blouse and brocade vest, though.
Goblin puppets, lookin' better than CGI since 1986. There is really something to be said for having people manually control the expressions and body movements of tangible fantasy creatures.
Who's there?
Oh shit, it's Bowie. Come to hit on you.  ...well, okay then!
Except first you have to solve a giant labyrinth and save your baby brother.
Are we seeing these straight-legged jeans? She's got moccasins on, too. Oh, so 80s. And yet...
Speaking of 80s....  I took about a million caps of the ballroom scene, but this post is not enough to contain the awesome of all the incredible gowns, masks, and decor. Another post, another day.
The famous Escher painting come to life.
One of the things I love about the film is that there's no Peter Pan ending here. Nor the ultimately depressing "it was all in her head" type of conclusion. Instead, we are left with a positive note, not about eradicating childhood dreams, but about balancing adult life with fantasy.

And that's me out, before I get lost and post the whole damn movie.

roberto syrious  – (May 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM)  

it looks super cute *_*
wanna see it!
hope you'll follow me and i'll do the same.

Syriously in Fashion
Facebook

Christina  – (May 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM)  

that was really nice to read and the photos are great :) great post!

The Cat Hag  – (May 28, 2011 at 4:57 AM)  

OMG I loved this movie!!!

And I still actually have nightmares over recent years of those rotating and ever-changing stairs!

Such a classic film, haha and yes this shows my age too. ;)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Chi  – (May 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM)  

I think I want to watch it too :) thank you for sharing ;)

Becky  – (May 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM)  

you remind me of the babe. what babe? the babe with the power. what power? the power of voodoo. who do? you do. do what? remind me of the babe...

haha so good. love this post!

www.playgroundlovevintage.blogspot.com

Caroline Ergy Erg  – (May 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM)  

I still haven't seen Labyrinth, how awful, i am liking the stills!! I loveee that dress in the collage though, i really want it now!
xxxxx

Anonymous –   – (August 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM)  

The street she's running down is Piermont avenue in Piermont NY. It actually looks like that and wasn't changed at all :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP