friend friday: book edition

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll have realized by now that I'm a voracious story-devourer. Movies, television shows, comics, audio tapes...and, of course, books. You might see a lot of visual media posts on here, but believe me, books are still my one true love. (I'm one of those loser kids who cried on the first day of kindergarten when I realized they weren't going to teach me to read yet. Er, this was back when kindergarten was treated like preschool, and most of the day was spent learning how to get along with other kids, memorizing your phone number, and driving a little wooden mail truck to the principal's office. Yeah, I don't know.)

Part of the problem with being such a bibliophile is that making a favorites list is really damn hard. There are too many choices, and I have a problem talking about things I like without also qualifying it with my criticisms. Welp, I linked up with Katy Rose over at Modly Chic for this week's Friend Friday and gave it my best go anyway.

My top 5 favorite books of all time: (I'm basing this one on re-readability, not necessarily overall quality. That means less of the high-falutin' literature you might expect from an English major and more in the way of genre works.)

Cosmos - Carl Sagan
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
The Long Winter  - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

There were quite a few runners-up I had to eliminate, including The Little Prince, Frankenstein and Sarah Crewe.

The Most Recent Books I’ve Read and Loved:


Going Postal - Terry Pratchett
Coraline - Neil Gaiman
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century - Barbara W. Tuchman
The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm


I'm very behind on actual book reading lately, especially in the nonfiction arena. Next up is an overview of Ancient Egypt, done by a writer whose fun archaeology-themed romance/mystery novels I've just finished. Should be exactly the opposite of dry, if her fiction writing is anything to go by.

Nanne  – (November 4, 2011 at 2:43 AM)  

Like you, I love reading books! Nothing can quite compare to the "movies" I make in my head when reading a book! I totally agree with you that re-readability is the most important when it comes to favourite books:)

liz  – (November 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM)  

love the coraline-esque pic!

Sam  – (November 4, 2011 at 7:07 AM)  

I've actually never read any of the books on your list! I was reading before kindergarten I think. Or at least pretending to according to my mother. I'll definitely be checking some of these out!

Come check out my blog if you're interested, I'm hosting my first give-away!
My Growing Obsessions

Oh to Be a Muse  – (November 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM)  

i love that photo--it's awesome.

and i really should read Coraline as i loved the movie.

come check out my FBFF list.

Cortney  – (November 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM)  

Oooh we have similar tastes it looks like.

I loved "Jurassic Park". Michael Crichton writes some amazing books. Have you picked up "Timeline" by any chance? I liked it even better than "Jurassic Park" which was a huge surprise to me.

Also you've mentioned "The Little Prince", "Frankenstein", and fairy tales. And you've included Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett on your list!

I'm immediately putting down all the books you've mentioned on my list of need-to-read-ASAP. :)

Fashnlvr  – (November 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM)  

I truly enjoyed all of Laura Engalls wilder's books. The Little Prince is pretty awesome too. I decided since I love to read anything printed I would refrain from naming favorites and just go with the last I have read.
Love your choices here!

wdn th  – (November 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM)  

i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
u can contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com

Kimberlee  – (November 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM)  

hehe love the picture! I think we would have been amazing friends in kindergarten :)

Kara McKenzie  – (November 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM)  

It's so nice to hear someone mention their favorite books on a blog! I feel it's not a subject often broached. I have a hard time choosing favorites, myself, and they tend to rotate. My current favorites would have to include Lolita, The Outsiders, and Breakfast of Champions. They're all quick reads, and will stick with you for a long time. :)

Cheers,
Kara of www.fancythatvintage.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP