don't block my colors

Northern New England is supposed to be known for its autumn leaf colors, but looking at my neighborhood, you'd never know it. Notice the pretty reds and oranges in the Japanese maple I'm posing against? Yeah, that'd be the only one as far as the eye can see. With a yard otherwise full of oak and birch trees, which turn straight to brown, and big maples that don't seem to realize they're supposed to be brighter than a muddy-looking yellow, fall foliage just ain't that interesting at my house. (With three out of four of the adults here injured, this year's leaf-raking could be, though!)

I do look forward to driving through nearby areas that have front yard rows of  boldly-colored decorative maples. It's too bad that the most amazing spot, one town over, has such busy traffic, or I'd snap some photos to show you all. (In my area people just planted dogwoods, which do nothing but smell terrible all summer long.)

Shooting this outfit, I was reminded of one of my pet peeves about locations in movies and television shows. Creators rarely bother to film anything on this side of the country (aside from New York City), even if the story is set here. For example, the attempts at showing seasonal weather changes on Gilmore Girls are often so unintentionally funny because the outdoor California studio sets look nothing like the northeast. Everything is wrong, from the types of trees to the color of the sky and grass to the intensity of the sunlight on the actors' faces. (There also isn't nearly enough rain for it to be Connecticut.) Yeah, I know it's expensive to film on location (and to do weather effects on a set), but sometimes I just get bored of every story looking like it takes place in LA during the summer.

 I give total props to the makers of Hocus Pocus for not only managing to film in this region, but doing it during the proper season. And you know what? It makes the film look freaking great.

WARDROBE:

skirt/shoes/cardigan: Charlotte Russe
leggings: Forever21
top: restyled
socks: gift
lipstick: MAC Slimshine in Pleasing

CAMERA:

Laura

Unknown  – (November 14, 2011 at 1:49 AM)  

gorgeous!! especially your socks. ^^

Anonymous –   – (November 14, 2011 at 6:22 AM)  

Gorgeous, and the background fits perfectly :)

Check out my GIVEAWAY: http://www.fashionvictress.com/2011/11/01/november-giveaway-red-promod-leather-bag/

Hannah  – (November 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM)  

cute skirt! and i know what you mean about every show and movie so obviously being filmed in L.A. It gets old.

Alyssa Pritchett  – (November 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM)  

Amazing photos, definitely captures the essence of the season..

http://survivingcollegefashionably.blogspot.com/

LyddieGal  – (November 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM)  

The leaves started out quite lackluster this fall, but a few trees in my neighborhood finally started to flourish - they are brilliant yellow, and i'm enjoying them as much as I can before they disappear!

I agree, I was always a little sad that GG didn't film here, but that never stops me from watching...

Chic on the Cheap

Anna  – (November 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM)  

Hello there! It's so lovely to have found your blog! I absolutely love it! These photos are great and the color of the red leafs gives a magical look to it all. My favorites are two and three.

STYLE MARMALADE  – (November 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM)  

Wonderful colours in this look! I love the way you mix with the fall leaves :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP