fright night minus light

Throwing a Halloween party in the middle of a blackout is some kind of tricky. However, it's not impossible, especially if you're lucky enough to have a gas grill and a generator.

We lost power at the start of Saturday's snowstorm, just as we began party preparations, and didn't get it back until late Monday night. (Not complaining, for real. Just about cheered when I saw the CL&P truck pull into my neighborhood. I know others are going to be stuck with a longer, colder wait.) This means the electric stove was off-limits, there wouldn't be much in the way of lighting, and half our party guests were already sleeping on couches since our furnace was plugged into the generator and their house was like an icebox.

Laura and I pretty much had to throw out our original cooking plan, but luckily have seen enough episodes of Top Chef to think we might be able to bake on the grill. Lo and behold, grilled brownies, grilled cupcakes. They're, er, a little charred on the bottom, but baked pretty well otherwise! We also did Rice Krispy treats and a vat of chicken-vegetable soup, as well as the uncooked treats like popcorn mix, sherbet punch, veggie dip, chips, candy, etc. Guests brought pepperoni bread and pizza to round it out.

The only sad thing, in the end, was that we got only one group of trick-or-treaters. The kids at our party couldn't find any open houses, either. I guess the outage really killed the holiday for most people.

WARDROBE:

Meesh as Endor Leia
poncho: made with my own sweat and tears. especially tears.
leggings: JCPenney
boots: Macy's
belt: NY&Co

Laura as Born This Way Gaga
jacket: The Limited
shirt: back of Meesh's closet
pants: back of Laura's closet
bowtie: iParty
hairpieces: Epic Cosplay

Fashion-Bridge  – (November 1, 2011 at 1:41 AM)  

Great outfit! I love Halloween! It's the only night when you can go crazy and goofy without feeling too awkward about it;)

X

Alexandra

www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

Anonymous –   – (November 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM)  

A black out for Halloween would scare the crap out of me! Nice Halloween costumes, I really wanted to be Lady Gaga but couldn't. Oh well, maybe next year. Really cool pumpkin carvings, super creappy.

white witch Hi_D  – (December 13, 2011 at 5:13 AM)  

Ah! Found you on FTLOB's Look Book again...
I totally love your second photo... It's scary but I love it... We don't really have Holloween where I'm from but our country's being influenced by the Americans so Holloween is being celebrated by a few towns in my country now. But when i was young I never tried going to those trick or treats and dressing up like zombies and stuff...
Would like to try that... Looks like fun...

Hi_D

http://cuterandomthings.blogspot.com/

Anonymous –   – (April 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM)  

poncho tutorial?...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP