costumes of halloween past: old hollywood glam


Anyone who's met me knows that Halloween is my Christmas. Forget sleigh bells, fruitcake and obligation presents. Me, I like a materialistic holiday that's honest about it, and that no one takes too seriously.

One of the side effects of being such an All Hallow's Eve afficionado, however, is accumulating a ridiculous amount of costumes. Unlike decorations, you can't just whip out the same old thing every year. (Well, you can, but where's the fun in that?) At this point, I can't even count the number of costume pieces I have hanging around. Right now there are at least four copy paper boxes and a closet rack full, with other random bits tucked into various corners of my bedroom. No wonder I have no space for regular fashions.

A few years ago I did a blog for a 31-day Halloween challenge, posting one costume per day (although honestly, it probably could have easily gone a few more weeks). Thought I'd repost a few of my favorites here throughout the month, in anticipation of my favorite holiday.

Want to try something like this 1920s look? A few tips, here from me to you:

THE DRESS: This one is a short formal style I found on sale at Windsor, and had originally used for a gangster-themed birthday party. Anything slinky and nightgown-like is a good option for this Halloween costume. Just pair it with some strappy shoes that aren't too high-heeled.

THE HAIR: Fingerwaves, fingerwaves, fingerwaves. And if you've got long hair, get ready to do some pincurling, too. All you need to add to your usual hairstyling supplies are a couple of wave clips (I think I used five total). Be forewarned: a good tutorial is a must if you've never done waves before. I like the ones over at Vintage Hair, personally. As for specific style, that's up to you. You can see in the pictures that I brushed out my (admittedly crunchy) curls later for a bouncier look.

THE MAKEUP: Smoky. You'll want a dark, heavy lid and lots of lashes to pair with those super-thin eyebrows. I've got sparse enough brows to fake the look with a filled-in line, so if yours are thicker, you might need to cover them a bit. Blush should be pinkish and diffused over a large area of the cheek, while the lips can be pretty bold. I did the cupid's bow look here, filling in only the middle sections of the lips and adding a little extra over the top lipline.

Tammy @ Lemons, Avocados and the Bay  – (October 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM)  

Found you through FTLOB and really enjoy reading your blog. :)

Following you now, looking forward to reading more posts

liz  – (October 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM)  

ditto tammy. love the vintage makeup/hair in this post.

and the guinea piggies are adorable!

Unknown  – (October 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM)  

You looked adorable here! I was Betty Boop last year for Halloween, so I definitely did the pin curls and red lipstick. It was so much fun!

Visiting from FTLOB. Hope you have a fabulous week my dear!

xoxox,
Joelle
www.whereweloveishome.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP