cinematographic: clue


In an ideal game of Clue, you'll have had to add more than the standard set of characters to accommodate the number of players. Especially if you're doing a live-action roleplay party version. This is why you'll see some welcome additions to the usual suspects if you pick up the film version of this game. (My silly Miss Berry not included!) The movie's premise involves our iconic characters having separately received mysterious invitations to a nighttime gathering at an old mansion, which quickly devolves into blackmail, murder and mayhem.

Basing a movie off of a board game or other non-traditional franchise is a risky venture, and doesn't always end well. For every surprise blockbuster like Pirates of the Caribbean, there is a Haunted Mansion. For every Resident Evil, there is the sequels a Super Mario Brothers. Luckily, Clue falls into the former category, as a totally watchable, fun murder mystery parody made in that unreproducible 80s screwball comedy style. Seriously, there is no other movie like this. (If there were, I would be all over it.)

We had a long power outage the other night and popped Clue into the portable DVD player by candlelight to pass the time. I am now convinced that this is the best way to watch this movie, in lieu of an interactive group watch. I will never understand why this movie isn't given the same treatment as The Rocky Horror Picture Show. To make a long story short (too late), it'd be a hoot.

Dream house y/n?
When I was a kid, I thought this took place in the 20s. That would also not be a bad setting for a murder mystery.
Our host, Mr. Boddy.
Mrs. Peacock, the Senator's wife.
Mrs. White, the black widow, played by the fabulous Madeline Kahn.
Yvette, the overenthusiastic French maid.
Colonel Mustard, a.k.a. the principal on Sabrina: The Teenage Witch.
Wadsworth, the butler, played by a very energetic Tim Curry.
Professor Plum, not actually wearing plum, and Miss Scarlet, looking stunning.
Mr. Green and his crooked glasses, hangin' with Yvette.
Trying to figure out who's missing from each scene is one of the best parts about rewatching this movie. That and the one-liners.
Shh!
Ladies first!
During these sneaking-around parts, the power suddenly came back on with a screech. I jumped about a mile. Let's just say it's a very good thing this isn't a serious scary movie.
This dress is really fantastic. I mean, she's clearly being strangled by the bustier she's got on underneath it, but I might wear that too if I'd look like this!
Secret passages FTW. Someone add this to my house now.
I laughed for a good five minutes the first time I watched this scene.
Imagine the Halloween decorating you could do with a house like this.
Mrs. Peacock, your color scheme is shockingly in-season.
I strongly recommend choosing to watch all three endings of this together in the DVD options, and not just because the last has the second greatest final line of a movie ever. (The first is in It Happened One Night. I'll tell you about that another time.)

joy  – (October 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM)  

Sounds like a really interesting movie! I will go watch it later :)

alyssa  – (October 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM)  

I love your color study--such lovely pieces! I remember watching clue a few years back and being embarrassed by all the cleavage as an awkward pre-teen!

xx
alyssa
http://wereaucourant.blogspot.com

LyddieGal  – (October 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM)  

haha, what a fun b-movie - and i love the look you created!

Chic on the Cheap

Anonymous –   – (September 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM)  

I was looking for some pictures from the film and stumbled upon your post.
You are absolutely right, it is utterly entertaining! Have you seen "Murder by Death"? It's quite similar and equally hilarious!

Best wishes!
- just some passer-by from a faraway country :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP