don't say debbie downer

Wardrobe:
tops and shoes: Charlotte Russe
shorts: Forever21
socks: Macy's
bag: Aerie
sunglasses: Windsor

Camera:
Laura

Lately, I've been struggling with writing blog posts in a way that's never been a problem for me in other corners of the internet. The main issue? Voice. 

Most of the fashion and craft blogs I read have a very optimistic, upbeat vibe. My natural inclinations are more on the opposite end of things. This isn't a problem if I'm critiquing the finer points of some science fiction story arc or chatting about reality show drama, since I tend to hang out on the snarkier side of fandom anyway. When it comes to style blogs, though, my comments seem so discordant, especially compared to others' unflagging cheerfulness. Then I end up doing stupid things like adding a bunch of exclamation points to soften the tone. Even here in my own posts, I keep having this moment of "oh hell, is this too negative? Am I criticizing too much? I'd better rewrite the whole thing." GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE, BLOG POSTS.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I dislike reading friendlier blogs. I just seem to have a somewhat different approach and feel a little like I'm on the outside. Maybe it's regional. Connecticut people aren't what I'd call "chipper," to be honest. Or maybe it's a difference in personality, and I've just got to look harder for my fellow pessimists in this corner of the blogosphere.

On a side note, did anyone else see this list of worst-dressed cities from GQ? There's a bizzare entry on Bristol, CT there. And what's bizarre isn't even that freaking BRISTOL was mentioned. It's that the whole thing is about the fashion choices of televised ESPN workers and celebrities. So...not actual people that live there. Okay then.

The Cat Hag  – (August 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM)  

Feel free to write down your thoughts are they are babe, this is your blog space, and it's for you, not for anyone else. ♥

You are looking so elegant here, I adore that hair pin. :)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark  – (August 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM)  

I find that I have that problem sometimes too. Its a fine line between whining and being saccharine sweet all the time. My friends gave me some good advice, I blog like I'm writing an email to one of them. It helps me keep my voice and my attitude (though lately I've been slipping back into the upbeatness...)
I hope you find your voice again and feel comfortable writing.
PS--cuuute sunglasses, oversize sunglasses will always be my favorite accessory!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP