the fashion retrospectograph: martha with an "r"

Although you couldn't quite call this a retrospective post, as I never met my great-great-aunt Martha, I must have heard her name hundreds of times in my childhood. The dumb kid that I was, however, for the longest time thought it was actually "Ahntimaatha" and not, you know, Auntie Martha. (To this day I am not entirely sure why my family drops the "r" sound for this Martha only.)

This particular photo stood out to me, not because it apparently ended up in the paper, but because Martha is looking pretty damn gorgeous here. I don't have a date for this photo, but based on the styling and her probable age, it's clearly sometime in the 20s. That's one of my dream style eras for a reason, people. This whole look is just so soft and glamorous.

You can see closer details (and probably read the newsprint better) in the larger version.

BlaiseRuby  – (September 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM)  

You were clearly a cool kid with nice naming techniques haha auntie martha should have changed her name!

http://blaiseruby.blogspot.com/
x

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark  – (September 4, 2011 at 6:34 AM)  

My goodness she's gorgeous. I love the 1920's and 30's hairstyles, it was so fun but still glam. I love that you thought that, its so adorable. How many kids must think things are something else because of how our family's pronounce/say them?

Mary and Dyer  – (September 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM)  

She looks beautiful!!! That is soo cute you called her Maatha! :) I wish I could do my hair like hers, now!

Love your blog! I'm your newest follower :)
XO Danielle
maryanddyer.blogspot.com

The Cat Hag  – (September 5, 2011 at 1:47 AM)  

You look a little like your aunt, you have the same beautiful hair as her!

Gosh, I love these vintage photos, she is gorgeous. :)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag
Join My Giveaway

Anonymous –   – (September 7, 2011 at 3:23 AM)  

Wow, how beautiful is she?! Do you now this "vintage photos" section at the Sartorialist's blog? I think it would fit in perfectly there too.

I think every child has difficulties with pronounciation - I always called me "Nela" instead of Cornelia ^^

liz  – (October 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM)  

my grammie has the old-school maine accent and drops/adds rs all the time.. a car is a cahh and my sister leah is lear [like king]

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

current inspirations

search me

Photo Info

All personal photographs taken by me unless otherwise stated. Not that you'll want them, but please drop me a message first for permission before using my pictures elsewhere. granniesguide@gmail.com

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP